We are excited to share that the NSF-funded Learning Analytics in STEM Education Research (LASER) Institute for early- and mid-career educational researchers is now recruiting for the 2023 annual cohort! This year’s summer workshop will run from July 17-21 and be hosted in Raleigh, NC on the campus of North Carolina State University. A reimbursement allowance of $1,500 will be provided for travel, lodging, and evening meals (breakfast and lunch will be provided each day) to support participation. LASER Institute activities that take place during the academic year will be fully online and offer flexibility to accommodate your schedule.
Participants who will benefit most from the LASER Institute are scholars who:
- Are currently engaged in research in STEM education contexts;
- Are relatively new to the data sources and techniques used in Learning Analytics research;
- Have a STEM Ed research question or specific project in mind;
- Need guidance on how new data sources and techniques can support their research;
- Have access to a dataset or study population of interest;
- Have a basic understanding of probability and statistical analysis;
- Have experience using statistical software programs for data cleaning and analysis (e.g. SPSS, Stata, SAS, R);
- Have the time necessary to devote to developing their skills and supporting a research effort in the upcoming year (e.g. manuscript submission, grant submission, conference presentation).
Participants in the LASER Institute are expected to commit to the following:
- Attend the in-person Summer Institute from July 17-21 (virtual options are not available);
- Attend the virtual monthly check-ins that will be the third Thursday of each month from August - December; and.
- Complete a project that is either related to your primary work responsibilities and/or research agenda.
Applications are due by March 31st with notification of acceptance by April 30th. Follow this link to learn more about the program and to apply: https://www.fi.ncsu.edu/projects/laser-institute/
Please reach out to me with any questions about the institute and applying for it!